Foundational Practice of Zen Buddhism Sesshin
Zoom Video Conference
Friday May 28 – Thursday, June 3, 2021
Daily Schedule (all times are Mountain Time, US and Canada):
7:00 to 9:00 am: Sesshin Sitting (online)
Please join Zoom Meeting no later than five minutes before the start
Bell will sound at 7:55 for a ten minute break
Participants may sit through the break if they wish
9:00 am: Service
Click here for PDF which you can print out or open on your device.
10:00 am to 1:00 pm: Sesshin Talk with Genpo Roshi
Plus two additional hours of meditation on your own each day at a convenient time for you (offline).
Texts which Genpo Roshi has been referring to:
- The Diamond Sutra is available in many English translations. Links to several of them can be found here: https://terebess.hu/english/diamond.html. Genpo Roshi references the translation which is included in The Diamond Sutra and the Sutra of Hui–Neng, translated by A. F. Price & Wong Mou-lam. A PDF of this translation is available here: http://zen-ua.org/wp-content/uploads/the_diamond_sutra_english.pdf.
- The Sixth Patriarch’s Sutra translated by the same translators, which Roshi recommends, is available online here: http://www.katinkahesselink.net/tibet/hui_neng1.html, and can be downloaded as a PDF here: https://terebess.hu/zen/PlatformPrice.pdf
- Eight Beliefs in Buddhism by Hakuun Yasutani Roshi https://bigmind.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Yasutani-Eight-Beliefs-in-Buddhism.pdf
Please note that each day’s online Meditation period and Sesshin Talk has a different Zoom Meeting URL link, meeting ID and password, and so the links, meeting IDs and passwords for each event (or the phone number if you are joining by phone) are different and unique.
If you click on the meeting link, you will not need to enter the password.
If you join a meeting by manually entering the meeting ID, you will need to enter the password.
When you click on the Zoom meeting link you’ll be placed in a waiting room until admitted. In order to be admitted identify yourself using your name. This precaution is necessary in order to protect the meeting from hacking.
If you have not used Zoom before, please familiarize yourself with these general instructions:
- Click on the Zoom meeting link several minutes before the event begins.
- Unless you’ve already downloaded the Zoom app you’ll be prompted to download it, and after doing so click on join the meeting.
- Be sure your audio and video are working correctly. The best audio quality is achieved with a quiet room and use of ear buds or a headset.
- You’ll start the call muted, and when you feel moved to speak, please raise your hand. The Raise Hand button is located at the bottom of the Participant list (which can be accessed by clicking on the “Participants” icon at the bottom of the Zoom window).
- The best video quality is achieved while sitting in a distraction-free space where you can have your hands free and have some light on your face.
- The Gallery View and the Speaker View and can be selected in the upper right corner of the Zoom window.
Please note: Links to recordings of the zoom meetings are posted on this page as soon as possible after the meetings. Due to limits on our storage space in the cloud, older recordings eventually have to be cleared out to make room for newer ones. Since these recordings will not be permanently accessible, we advise you to download ones you want to keep while they are available.
Sesshin Talk with Roshi Friday May 28
Sesshin Talk with Roshi Saturday May 29
Sesshin Talk with Roshi Sunday May 30
Sesshin Talk with Roshi Monday May 31
Sesshin Talk with Roshi Tuesday June 1
Sesshin Talk with Roshi Wednesday June 2
Sesshin Talk with Roshi Thursday June 3